UPDATES – APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED – as of Friday at 4 PM. The WBES (Windsor Business Enhancement Society), is still accepting applications as it seeks to fill 3 green team summer student positions for the upcoming summer of 2016.
The successful applicants will maintain clean parks, common areas, streets and to tend to waterfront/park clean-ups, care of foliage and green spaces as well as other duties described in job description below .
Windsor Business Enhancement Society (WBES)
(Downtown Business Merchants in Windsor NS)
Up to 3 Students: Summer Employment Opportunities 2016
(High School, Post Secondary, Vocational or Technical)
Job Description for Green Team Intern
As one of 3 students to be considered for hiring you must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- – registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- – intending to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- – is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program
- – The employed summer students will maintain and care for the foliage and green spaces around town with a focus on maintaining clean parks, common areas, streets and to tend to waterfront/park clean-ups as required.
- – In addition, the students will monitor the recycling and composting programs within the Town of Windsor.
- -Serve an ambassador for the downtown Windsor businesses by talking with customers, citizens and visitors about the importance of maintaining a clean and safe downtown and the role played by recycling within our community.
- -Work with the Recreation Department’s coordinator of its Junior Leadership Program, to assist students in Grades 7-9 who will be part of the Green Team for 2 afternoons’ per week as part of their entrepreneurial and citizenship training.
Enhance, Maintain and Beautify the Downtown
- – Work with the recycling coordinator of the Town of Windsor to monitor the recycling and composting program within the Town.
- – Monitor waste bins in the downtown and waterfront areas including as necessary the pickup, sorting and disposal or litter as designated by the WBES
- -In conjunction with the Communities in Bloom committee, maintain the 5 Welcome to Windsor signs and surrounding green spaces.
- -Maintain the Star Brides’ Park on Water Street along with the waterfront park by weeding, edging and removing litter as required.
Coordinate setup, introductions and take down for the Friday night Waterfront concerts in conjunction with the WBES concert committee.
- -Work with the WBES street fair committee to coordinate the downtown street fair during the Avon River Days weekend.
- -In conjunction with the WBES maintain and develop the local business directory. This will include collection of data from local business and input of data on the website.
- -Each summer student will be provided with a three-wheel bicycle, a safety helmet, a cart with necessary equipment and a bright t-shirt that easily identifies the intern.
Employment Period: May 23, 2016 to August 26, 2016
Monday to Friday – may require some weekends
$12 per hour, 35 hours per week
Supervisor: Heather Donohue
Able to ride bike; some experience in horticulture and recycling an asset but not mandatory; good self-direction and time management; WHIMIS an asset; computer skills; PR knowledge and skills.
Submit resume by 4PM on Friday, May 13, 2016:
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail to: WBES, PO Box 2499, Windsor, NS B0N 2T0
By hand delivery to: Moe’s Place Music Sales, 110 Gerrish Street, Windsor
* This project is a joint project between the Windsor Business Enhancement Society and the Town of Windsor.
* The WBES hires and supervises the work of the students and the Town provides and maintains the necessary equipment.