Windsor Business Enhancement Society (WBES)
Student Summer Employment Opportunity 2018 – Job Description for Green Team Intern
The student(s) considered for hiring must be:
- registered at a post-secondary institution and returning to the same institution for the Fall of the current year.
- registered at a post-secondary institution and transferring to another in the Fall of the current year.
- A grade 12 graduate who will be attending a post-secondary institution full-time in the Fall of the current year.
This is a program to employ summer students to maintain clean parks, common areas, streets and to tend to waterfront/park clean-ups, care of foliage and green spaces. In addition, the students will monitor the recycling and composting programs within the Town of Windsor. This project is a joint project between the Windsor Business Enhancement Society and the Town of Windsor. The WBES hires and supervises the work of the students and the Town provides and maintains the necessary equipment. Each student is provided with a three-wheel bicycle, a safety helmet, a cart with necessary equipment and a bright t-shirt that easily identifies the intern.
Responsibilities will include:
- Pick up, sort and dispose of litter in areas designated by WBES
- In conjunction with the Communities in Bloom committee, maintain the 5 Welcome to Windsor signs and surrounding green spaces.
- Maintain the Star Brides’ Park and other mini parks in Downtown Windsor. This will include: weeding, litter pick up, edging, fertilizing and planting of annuals.
- Maintain the Waterfront park area. This will include: weeding, litter pick up and edging.
- Monitor garbage bins in the downtown and waterfront areas
- Coordinate setup, introductions and take down for the Friday night Waterfront concerts in conjunction with the WBES concert committee.
- Work with the WBES street fair committee to coordinate the downtown street fair during the Avon River Days weekend.
- In conjunction with the WBES maintain and develop the local business directory. This will include collection of data from local business and input of data on the website.
- Work with the Coordinator of the Recreation Department’s Junior Leadership Program, to assist students in Grades 7-9 who will be part of the Green Team for 2 afternoons per week as part of their entrepreneurial and citizenship training
- Work with the recycling coordinator of the Town of Windsor to monitor the recycling and composting program within the Town.
- Act as an ambassador for the businesses in downtown Windsor by talking to customers, citizens and visitors about the importance of maintaining a clean and safe downtown and of recycling our garbage.
May 21, 2018 to August 24, 2018 $12 per hour, 35 hours per week
Monday to Friday – may require some weekends Supervisor: Adrienne Wood
Able to ride bike; some experience in horticulture and recycling an asset but not mandatory; good self-direction and time management; WHIMIS an asset; computer skills; PR knowledge and skills.
Submit resume by 4PM on Friday, May 4, 2018:
By email to: email@example.com
By mail to: WBES, PO Box 2499, Windsor, NS B0N 2T0
By hand delivery to: Mosaic Market, 141 Water Street, Windsor
If you have any questions about this position, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org